When working with SharePoint lists, one of the most frequently used features is DataSheet view. It makes updating list data as easy as working with an Excel spreadsheet – which should be the aim, really.
From time to time, you’ll come across this error when trying to update a cell in DataSheet view:
Very frustrating, especially since this normally happens on the column type Multiple Lines of Text, where entering one row at a time is painful.
In this situation, the easiest fix this is change the column properties so that it only takes plain text:
Of course, only do this if your column doesn’t need to have rich content like links, images etc. and the convenience of mass-updating in DataSheet View is your primary concern.
- Certain columns, such as Created By and Modified, are always read-only. Values for these columns are entered automatically.
- The changes you made to the selected row or column have been submitted to the server. If there is no conflict or error, you will be able to edit the row or column after the changes have been saved.
- There is an unresolved conflict or error in the selected row or column. Resolve the conflict or error before attempting to edit the selected row or column.
- The list is set up to require content approval, and you are viewing the list in the All Items view
- In the My Submissions view of a list that requires content approval, the Approval Status and Comment column are read-only. Only a user with Manage Lists right can edit these two columns.
- Attachments are read-only in a list that requires content approval. You cannot view or edit attachments in any of the views.
- The document in the current row has been checked out by a user. You cannot edit the columns in the row until the user checks the document in.
- You do not have permission to edit the column or row. Contact the list author for more information.
Reference: Vishal dev blogs- http://devblog.bardoloi.com/2012/08/sharepoint-2010-datasheet-view-selected.html